Who is the best FPL Gameweek 18 captain? Our resident FPL captaincy expert Chris Tan takes a close look at the fixtures, poll and stats breakdown before concluding on his best pick for the armband.
FPL Gameweek 17 Recap
The Challengers – United dispatched contenders Villa after a controversial penalty with Fernandes (£11.3m) picking up his obligatory penalty and max bonus points. We also witnessed a rare (good) Pogba (£7.7m) display. The new roaming position on the left could finally enable him to unleash his talent. It’s rapidly turned around from Ole out to title challengers. Leicester comfortably saw off Newcastle and are also staking their claim for top four after narrowly missing out last season. Lastly, Spurs got back to winning ways, as predicted, against Leeds and with their game in hand, they’re right in the mix.
The Elite – Liverpool have had a torrid Christmas drawing to West Brom, Newcastle and their New Year hasn’t started any better with them losing to Southampton. All does not seem well at Anfield. Man City, on the other hand continue to look like a fortress, defensively, but they’re creating (and converting) more chances as well. They can go top if they win their games in hand.
The Premiums – De Bruyne (£11.6m) and Fernandes (£11.3m) continue to demonstrate their worth and how talismanic they are. However, that’s three blanks in a row for Salah (£12.6m) now (against soft opposition) and patience is wearing thin. The two Spurs boys continue to impress and owning one doesn’t appear enough due to how often they link up. Can they do it against a team that doesn’t attack them though?
Who to target – West Brom have reverted back to whipping boys until Sam can gather reinforcements, although he did state that there would be an emphasis on clean sheets going forwards. Newcastle look weak and Sheffield United look ready for the Championship.
How have we done to date?
It’s important to trust the process and also to celebrate when it all comes together:
It’s a weird one this week, as I’m going slightly outside of the metric. First goes to Kane and Son. Not many have both, so whichever one that you have is fine. If you’re lucky enough to own both then Son has the edge for me given where Leeds are likely to get caught out and the extra points for midfielder goals.
Fernandes is a reluctant second pick. I don’t think Villa will allow United to score many, but I also don’t think he will blank.
It’s safe to say that we smashed it last week!
FPL Gameweek 18 Captain - The Fixtures
It’s finally here, the first blank Gameweek of the season. Watch out, the Tuesday deadline is at 16:30 GMT. Don’t let work distract you.
As I’m drafting this word has reached me that the Villa game could potentially be off, which will throw a massive spanner in the works (although they could field their youth side in the FA Cup)! I would avoid making any moves until the last minute this week Burnley have also reported cases of COVID.
Twitter / @ChrisTanFPL FPL Gameweek 18 Captain Poll
Who do my Twitter followers think is the best FPL Gameweek 18 captain?
Old Hunting Ground – do any of the likely lads have a good history vs their opposition?
I’ve added a few extras this week, as several will be looking at using their free hit, which is the ideal chip to take a punt on a few characters you wouldn’t normally want to keep. Before you ask, Fernandes (£11.3m) hasn’t had the pleasure of playing against Burnley yet, can he hack it on a cold Tuesday night at Turf Moor?
- Son (£9.7m) – doesn’t have the best fixture, but he scored a brace away to Villa last season and he’s certainly comfortable playing there.
- Aguero (£10.3m) – will he even be fit? He would be the ultimate free hit punt though. Last season he recorded two goals and an assist when he played them at home. He’s also scored a goal against them in every game he’s played. Keep an eye on City’s FA Cup game.
- Sterling (£11.4m) – is the forgotten man these days and it’s easy to forget how explosive he can be. During the restart he scored a hat trick away to Brighton last season from the left wing. The season before that he got a goal and assist from the right wing. Ignore him at your peril.
- Kane (£11.0m) – scored a brace at home against Villa last season (albeit they’re a lot better this season). He’s only blanked once against them though.
- Lacazette (£8.3m) – has only recorded a goal and assist at home against Palace in the past.
- Aubameyang (£11.3m) – he blanked at home last season, but other than that he’s scored every time he’s played against Palace. It’s been a while since he’s done anything though.
- De Bruyne (£11.6m) – he picked up a goal and an assist in the home game last season. He tends to enjoy his home comforts.
- Zaha (£7.4m) – has only managed a solitary goal and assist at the Emirates. He also seems to prefer his home comforts.
The records of the other candidates aren’t worth discussing.
Members Stats breakdown - FPL Gameweek 18 Captain
These stats are pulled from the Fantasy Football Hub OPTA tool that is available to all Members to help you analyse the players and teams.
I’ve pulled the stats from the last four Gameweeks (bear in mind that some sides have missed games) and will utilise these in combination with the eye test to help us make our decision.
You'll gain access to this article and all our fantasy football tools, tips and resources.
What do members get access to?